Saturday, November 19, 2005

Finally we have a date

The work goes public 2 weeks Monday. I'm suspect they'll be days when I wish I'd taken a sleeping bag with me before then. The eye of the storm has sailed into the horizon, leaving behind a tornado, that keeps causing the piles of paper on my desk to get muddled. My social life is on hold. I'm back in the midst of more noughts than Delores, the Irish woman, scooped on Euro-Millions. Every day there's some new 'urgent in the next half hour' request from someone who has 'career defining' power.
The girl who's been there holding it all together from the start has gone on holiday, gets back the day it goes live. My team are doing better, but still struggling. The fast-streamer has conquered word, as long as there's no table requirements, but is having trouble using her brain. I ask her to do things, have an hour of blank stares, two hours of questions and answers, then more blank stares. When a week later, after a series of mini refresher seminars on the task in hand, she gives me something, it's basically well short of being deliverable beyond me. Then she sporadically throws her toys out of the pram because she doesn't have enough to do, which usually means she's avoiding doing the loads of stuff I have assumed she can manage, but is a bit dull. We then start again with a new task, only actually I feel like I get bullied into handing over things that she thinks she can do but can't, which means me or boy wonder end up spending a few days trying to provide decent feedback and coax her towards the goal of something bearable, before the task becomes so urgent that a complete rewrite is the only way, feeling for the first time ever like my leadership skills are a tad under par. Either that or she smokes too much pot and can't get her brain to focus.
The boy wonder is all depressed. There was a job with his name on. Only then the bosses boss decided maybe not, so it's been snatched away from him. I'm in the midst of applying for my own job. It's a crazy farce, I keep saying stuff to the boss like 'advert looks good, I'm thinking of applying' he keeps saying things like 'shut up, don't tease'. The leaderless team under the job that it looks like the boy won't get, is hilarious. They are supposed to be supporting the big agenda we are all on, and doing a bit of other stuff. They have just pretty much stopped coming to work. When they do come in, it's usually for a couple of hours or so, then puff.....
We're so manic that doing anything about it would take more energy than the two or three of us doing any work, have. They would be incapable of taking one single bit of pressure off anyway.
Amidst it all the boss is marvellous, I like him more all the time. We have a real giggle. I am getting loads of excellent feedback on my work, and building some lovely friendships to boot.
Sadly though, as we head into the final furlong, all I want to do is sleep. One week off in five months, loads of late nights at and outside work and too few really relaxing weekends have left me crying every time the alarm goes off. 17 days, I can do it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

I haven't contacted you for a bloody long time - so apologies for that, but Jackie keeps me updated on the blog.

You have posted some exciting news and I hope everything with a new baby goes well. I'm sure you will be a fantastic Mum.

Hope things at ODPM get better (certainly better than things at NSW Planning presently) and you have a great new year.

From Gavin Speak

5:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home