Sunday, July 17, 2005

It's bingeing dear, but not as we know it

I'm shattered. Kept meaning to sleep, but the 'one more chapter' fever of previous installments was back. Finally I abandon Harry and friends after the sun's up and the birds have been giving it the cacophony stuff for a bit. (Blog watchers may notice my new favourite word?).

Today's a repeat of yesterday. Different park. Same book.

Then it's over.
I'm gutted.
Partly cos the ending's not a quiddich uplifting one. Mostly because the road to the climax stretches so far into the future I can't believe I did my usual book devouring. I knew I should savour it. I made a deliberate attempt to ensure every last syllable was absorbed. Now it has been. Every one of the 607 pages completed. I don't tell Ben. I read faster than him, leave that for another day, want to string out the chatter.

I battle the childishness, the strange emptiness that comes from finishing a book that's gripped so strongly.

Then yield to it. Thinking 'hey, I did feel like this about Enid Blyton, I did feel like this about the phoenix and the carpet, I did feel like this about little Women and Wind and the Willows and just about everything Roald Dahl ever wrote. I didn't get it with my adult literary loves like the Color Purple and the Kite Runner and Faith Singer and The Bluest Eye and Darkness at Noon, but they made me cry. Harry just makes me sit on the end of my picnic rug giggling and getting gripped. The inner child has had 24 hours of play. Now it's back to the real world. Who wouldn't feel a tad empty at that? It's ok'

Little Julie is regenerated, soothed, inspired. Big Julie is proud of herself.
Gentleness, surely, is the way to go.
If you don't believe me, ask Dumbledore.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
Jackie, from Sydney here.
You have inspired me to want to start a blog.
So now i am trying to figure out what i should put in it (i would love to put everything), and then who I'd tell or not be able to tell, and have come to the conclusion that if i write one with everything in it, that i probably wouldnt want to tell anyone about it, and so i am now wondering what the point of writing it would be.
Its a scary thing, not sure i'm brave enough.
How did you decide what to write and who to tell?
j

11:03 am  
Blogger The Gypsy said...

Jackie, lovely to hear from you. My advice would differ depending on what you want from your blog. If you, like me, harbour not so secret writing ambitions, make sure you only tell people you know to be actively supportive of that, cos a little criticism can knock you back a long way. If it's just fun, diarying, chatting, i think that's less important.
On the who to show it to, I'm still learning there. Depends what you want to write about - if 'pre-wedding nerves / stress/ boys have no idea' stuff may feature for example, probably best to leave the groom off!
I tend to be a 'oops, there goes my inner secrets' kinda girl, so offer pretty wide access, but I have another friend who has only given her blog address to a tiny fistful of poeple. Horses for courses I guess.
the other caveta is if you're writing about work, be careful not to mention your employer by name and to restrict work access, as there's been a few blog high profile related firings in the media!
Hope that helps

Julie x

3:21 pm  
Blogger The Gypsy said...

p.s. I'd say go for it, write whatever pops into your head, and refine it as you go along. It's fun, a safe place to rant and ramble, and will make you feel good about yourself.

10:54 pm  
Blogger The Gypsy said...

PPS,
Would it be taking advantage of your help for advice to say 'ooh, and you should make sure I get to see it'?

xxxxx

1:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:18 am  
Blogger The Gypsy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home